Meet Jose R. Costa
Meet Jose R. Costa
A Leader with Heart
Jose R. Costa has a background steeped in marketing, franchising, multi-unit retailing and enhancing customer experience amongst some of the most recognized brands in the world. He currently serves as CEO of For Eyes, which is part of GrandVision, a global leader in optical retail with more than 7,000 stores worldwide, of which 120 are in the U.S.
Previous to his current role, he served as Group President of Driven Brands where he led MAACO®, CARSTAR® and Drive N Style®. Collectively, these brands operate more than 1,400 body shops across North America, generate more than $1.8 billion in annual system sales and further establish Driven Brands as a leader in the automotive aftermarket space. Previously, he was President of MAACO®, where he was responsible for managing and developing 500 automotive body shops across the U.S. and Canada. During his tenure, he improved MAACO®’s procedures and training practices, raised consistency among franchises, revamped operations and enhanced the look and feel of its advertising.
Before joining Driven Brands, Costa was Vice President of Marketing, R&D and Supply Chain at BURGER KING® where he grew Latin America’s EBITDA from $50 million to $80 million in 26 months. Costa also served as President of COSTA IMC, a branding and interactive marketing firm focused on the U.S. Hispanic and Latin American segments.
Costa has over 20 years of experience both on the client and agency side, working for companies like Young & Rubicam, Bank of America, PepsiCo and YUM Brands. He also has extensive experience in restructuring portfolio companies for private equity firms like 3G Capital, Harvest Partners, Roark Capital and HAL Investments.
In 2017, Costa was a Gold Winner in the Executive of the Year category of the CEO World Awards. In 2016, he earned the Executive of the Year Gold Award in the Golden Bridge Awards®, an annual industry and peer recognition program honoring best companies in every major industry. He also won the Executive of the Year Bronze Stevie Award in the automotive and transport equipment industry in 2016. The Stevie Awards recognize outstanding performance in the workplace.
Costa was appointed to the Board of Trustees of Discovery Place for 2017-2020. He is also a National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) Fellow, a credential that recognizes those committed to excellence in the boardroom, and a member of the Young Presidents Organization (YPO), the world’s leading peer network of chief executives and business leaders.
In April 2016, Costa was inducted as the chapter leader of the Charlotte chapter of Chaîne des Rôtisseurs, the world’s oldest and most prestigious food society. He also pursues social work with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Miami, through which he has mentored a child in Miami for several years.
Costa has a Master’s degree in Integrated Marketing Communications from Northwestern University and an MBA from the University of Chicago.
GrandVision North America & For Eyes by GrandVision – Miramar, FL 2017-Present
Chief Executive Officer
Recruited to shape regional vision and lead next-stage evolution as change agent and P&L owner of $120M retail eyewear chain with 120 company-owned stores in 11 states, factory in South Florida, and 1,500 employees. Directly lead full scope of operations through executive leadership team, and drive long and short-term strategic business planning, marketing and brand positioning, financial management, capital investment, leadership supply and succession planning, and corporate governance. Report and present to global CEO and Board of Directors in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Architected roadmap positioning firm for 8.3X growth to 1,000+ doors in 5 years. Upgraded talent across company, increased accountability, insourced insurance business, planned new locations, and launched franchising operation.
- Eliminated ongoing losses, delivering $2.1M EBITDA swing in 6 months. Introduced financial discipline, reduced discounting 20%, redesigned incentive plans, and decreased cost of labor by 8% with improved doctor coverage.
- Reinventing customer experience to expand reach and penetrate new markets. Deploying state-of-the-art point-of-sale with integrated CRM, modernizing stores, piloting telemedicine platforms, and analyzing new market segments.
Driven Brands, Inc. – Charlotte, NC 2015 – 2017
Group President, Paint & Collision
Following completion of sale of Driven Brands to Roark Capital, retained by equity group to build, lead, and manage P&L for newly consolidated business with 1,300+ franchised paint and collision shops across North America under the Maaco, CARSTAR, and Drive N Style banners. Directed executive team of three Division Presidents, providing strategic leadership on top and bottom line performance, business model realignment, operational integration, marketing and service delivery innovation, talent management, and leadership supply. Reported directly to the CEO as company’s only Group President.
- Led successful business integration. Stabilized operation, hired executive leaders, built harmonized operations and systems, eliminated duplicate workforce and facilities, and built high-performing employee culture.
- Rapidly transformed operation, growing revenue from $430M to $1B (+2.3X) in 24 months. Grew CARSTAR EBITDA from $8M to $20M (+2.5X) with increases in other units via investment in service and operational efficiency.
- Generated 40% increase in average weekly store revenues via marketing innovation. Introduced modernized “concierge” storefronts in retail neighborhoods, increasing reach in premium consumer and business sectors.
President Maaco (2013-2015)
Brought in by Harvest Partners private equity ownership group to accelerate P&L performance and maximize value of body shop chain with 500 franchised locations in the US and Canada in anticipation of sale. Defined and executed market strategy, with full scope of oversight on day-to-day operations including marketing, sales, business development, finance, franchise operations, and talent management.
- Delivered strategic roadmap achieving 39% revenue growth ($430M to $600M) in 3 years. Produced record 62 consecutive months of increased sales, with 83% increase in EBIDTA to $55M in 18 months.
- Accelerated corporate execution by improving partnership with franchisees. Visited 400+ Maaco stores, conducting “listen for action” sessions providing key insights and improving franchise engagement.
- Conceptualized service innovations contributing generating 10X increase in fleet revenues. Created dedicated, multi-vertical sales force targeting institutional clients and marketing broad variety of value-added services.
- Played critical role in corporate sale of Driven Brands to Roark Capital. Delivered roadshow presentations to investment bankers, potential acquiring parties, and other key stakeholders.
Burger King Corporation – Miami, FL 2011 – 2013
Vice President, Marketing, Research & Develoment and Supply Chain (Latin America and Caribbean)
Hired by 3G Capital to turn around 32-country LATAM region. Held direct P&L accountability for 1,400 stores, driving performance via leadership in definition of sales, marketing, analytics, and growth plans; product ideation and development; supply chain optimization; and go-to-market execution. Collaborated with C-suite leadership, country managers, and franchisees on enterprise change management. Oversaw organization of up to 100 employees.
- Increased revenues from $1.5B to $2B (+33%). Leveraged pan-regional web sites, programs (Spider-Man, La Liga, and others), and strategic menu localization to improve brand equity and better serve local customer base.
- Returned key Mexico market to profitability after 3 years of losses, boosting YOY same-store sales from -12% to +5% (+17%). Localized marketing to emphasize product attributes and 49-Peso combos to drive organic traffic.
- Shortened new product rollouts cycle by 75% (from 24 months to 6) via redesign of R&D processes. Negotiated partnerships with four in-region suppliers equipped to rapidly innovate and deliver broad portfolio of new SKUs.
Costa Integrated Marketing Communications – Miami FL, 2007-2011
Founder and President
Founded and managed full-service digital and branding marketing agency focused on US and Latin American markets. Hired and led organization of 250 in the US, Colombia, Venezuela, and Panama designing and executing omnichannel multi-country B2B and B2C campaigns for Sony, Diageo, Ford, LG Electronics, Televisa, and other clients.
YUM Brands (Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and KFC) – Louisville KY, 2005-2007
Multicultural Marketing Manager – KFC Group | Customer Experience Manager | Associate Brand Manager
Rapidly promoted through successive roles leading creation of brand architectures. Conducted market segmentation analysis, consumer targeting, and brand positioning for Variety Big Box Meals delivering $4M in incremental annual revenues; increased 8.7% increase in market value within US Hispanic and African-American markets via segmented campaigns; and championed customer experience initiative increasing customer satisfaction 35% with 8% corresponding increase in sales.
Early Career 1996-2004
Account Executive & Consultant
Promoted through Account Executive roles with Y&R as a member of the company’s management rotation program. During Master’s studies, advised Bank of America as a consultant on small business marketing.
University of Chicago Booth School of Business, Chicago IL – 2011
Masters in Business Administration (MBA) | Major: Strategy and Marketing
Northwestern University, Evanston IL – 2004
Masters of Science (MS) in Integrated Marketing Communications | Major: Direct Marketing, Database Marketing, and E-commerce
Universidad Metropolitana, Caracas Venezuela – 2003
Post-graduate Specialization in Integrated Marketing Communications Management
Universidad Metropolitana, Caracas Venezuela – 2002
Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Modern Languages and Business Administration
Board Directorships and Community Leadership
NACD – NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF CORPORATE DIRECTORS: Washington, DC | Board Leadership Fellow
YPO – YOUNG PRESIDENTS’ ORGANIZATION: Charlotte, NC | Member
DISCOVERY PLACE MUSEUMS: Charlotte, NC | Member – Board of Directors | Member – Internal Affairs Committee
BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS: Charlotte, NC | Past Member – Advisory Council
LA CONFÉRIE CHAÎNE DES RÔTISSEURS: Charlotte, NC | Chapter Bailli/President
Honors and Special Interests
MEDILL SCHOOL AT NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY | 2018 Inductee, Medill Hall of Achievement
THE CEO WORLD AWARDS | Winner, 2017 Executive of the Year Gold Award
THE GOLDEN BRIDGE AWARDS | Winner, 2016 Executive of the Year Gold Award
THE STEVIE AWARDS | Winner, 2016 Executive of the Year Bronze Award
CHARLOTTE BUSINESS JOURNAL | Honoree, 2015 “Top 40 Under 40” List
CBS TELEVISION | Featured Personality, “Undercover Boss” as Maaco President
Jose accepting the Medill Award, 2018.